Multi-band multi-shot diffusion MRI reconstruction with joint usage of structured low-rank constraints and explicit phase mapping

link to pahttps://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1002/mrm.29422per

Multi-band multi-shot diffusion MRI reconstruction with joint usage of structured low-rank constraints and explicit phase mapping

Erpeng Dai, Merry Mani, Jennifer A. McNab

Abstract

Purpose

To develop a joint reconstruction method for multi-band multi-shot diffusion MRI.

Theory and Methods

Multi-band multi-shot EPI acquisition is an effective approach for high-resolution diffusion MRI, but requires specific algorithms to correct the inter-shot phase variations. The phase correction can be done by first estimating the explicit phase map and then feeding it into the k-space signal formulation model. Alternatively, the phase information can be used indirectly as structured low-rank constraints in k-space. The 2 methods differ in reconstruction accuracy and efficiency. We aim to combine the 2 different approaches for improved image quality and reconstruction efficiency simultaneously, termed “joint usage of structured low-rank constraints and explicit phase mapping” (JULEP). The proposed JULEP reconstruction is tested on both single-band and multi-band, multi-shot diffusion data, with different resolutions and b values. The results of JULEP are compared with conventional methods with explicit phase mapping (i.e., multiplexed sensitivity-encoding [MUSE]) and structured low-rank constraints (i.e., MUSSELS), and another joint reconstruction method (i.e., network estimated artifacts for tempered reconstruction [NEATR]).

Results

JULEP improves the quality of the navigator and subsequently facilitates the reconstruction of final diffusion images. Compared with all 3 other methods (MUSE, MUSSELS, and NEATR), JULEP mitigates residual structural bias and improves temporal SNRs in the final diffusion image, particularly at high multi-band factors. Compared with MUSSELS, JULEP also improves computational efficiency.

Conclusion

The proposed JULEP method significantly improves the image quality and reconstruction efficiency of multi-band multi-shot diffusion MRI, which can promote a broader application of high-resolution diffusion MRI.