Stochastic optimization of three-dimensional non-Cartesian sampling trajectory

link to paper

Stochastic optimization of three-dimensional non-Cartesian sampling trajectory

Guanhua Wang, Jon-Fredrik Nielsen, Jeffrey A. Fessler, Douglas C. Noll

Abstract

Purpose

Optimizing three-dimensional (3D) k-space sampling trajectories is important for efficient MRI yet presents a challenging computational problem. This work proposes a generalized framework for optimizing 3D non-Cartesian sampling patterns via data-driven optimization.

Methods

We built a differentiable simulation model to enable gradient-based methods for sampling trajectory optimization. The algorithm can simultaneously optimize multiple properties of sampling patterns, including image quality, hardware constraints (maximum slew rate and gradient strength), reduced peripheral nerve stimulation (PNS), and parameter-weighted contrast. The proposed method can either optimize the gradient waveform (spline-based freeform optimization) or optimize properties of given sampling trajectories (such as the rotation angle of radial trajectories). Notably, the method can optimize sampling trajectories synergistically with either model-based or learning-based reconstruction methods. We proposed several strategies to alleviate the severe nonconvexity and huge computation demand posed by the large scale. The corresponding code is available as an open-source toolbox.

Results

We applied the optimized trajectory to multiple applications including structural and functional imaging. In the simulation studies, the image quality of a 3D kooshball trajectory was improved from 0.29 to 0.22 (NRMSE) with Stochastic optimization framework for 3D NOn-Cartesian samPling trajectorY (SNOPY) optimization. In the prospective studies, by optimizing the rotation angles of a stack-of-stars (SOS) trajectory, SNOPY reduced the NRMSE of reconstructed images from 1.19 to 0.97 compared to the best empirical method (RSOS-GR). Optimizing the gradient waveform of a rotational EPI trajectory improved participants’ rating of the PNS from “strong” to “mild.”

Conclusion

SNOPY provides an efficient data-driven and optimization-based method to tailor non-Cartesian sampling trajectories.

This is a well-written article. I clearly appreciate that. Nevertheless, I stumble over some details. (There might be more, but I am reading sequentially). In particular, I am puzzled by the sentence following eq. (6) telling “where C is a collection of gradient time points that are constrained to cross the k-space zero point. Phi is still a soft-thresholding function, with threshold 0.” Here, I cannot grasp the notion of “a point crossing a point”. Could you clarify?